Arizona Pioneers’ Home

Screen Shot 2017-02-12 at 8.54.41 AM


Celebrating 100 years

February 1, 2011

 

Arizona Pioneers’ Home Celebrated Year-long Observance of 100 Years

One of Prescott’s most famous landmarks celebrated the completion of 100 years of operation February 1, 2011. Though it sits atop a bluff overlooking the heart of the city’s downtown business area you just might be surprised how almost anonymously it has gone about caring for hundreds of Arizona’s citizens. Since opening in 1911, an estimated three thousand plus residents have received a “century of caring,” according to registration archives.

During 2010, Arizonans statewide were invited to join in the celebration as residents, staff and supporters observed the century with Open Houses, displays marking milestones along the decades, and the telling of stories associated with the state’s development.

While eligible Arizona residents continue to make application at the venerable facility, the Arizona Pioneers’ Home remains unique in its eligibility requirements in the United States. 

To conclude 100 years of “quiet” caring for the state’s pioneers and miners, residents, staff and special invited guests helped celebrate the 100th birthday party of the Arizona Pioneers’ Home and Hospital for Disabled Miners.

The Home was sanctioned by the Arizona Centennial 2012 Foundation, and formally received the “Official Centennial Event” designation.

Click on the link below for the Courier article:

 100years.pdf


The Beginning…

The Arizona Pioneers’ Home began as the brainchild of three prominent Prescott citizens, A.J. Doran, Frank M. Murphy and Johnny Duke, to repay the faithful and longtime Arizona residents who helped pioneer and build the state. A.J. Doran sponsored a bill to create the Pioneers’ Home in Arizona’s Territorial Legislature in 1907. The initial bill failed, but it gained the full support of both houses two years later, and was signed into law by then Territorial Governor Joseph H. Kibbey, on March 11, 1909. 

Frank M. Murphy donated four and a half acres in southwest Prescott as the building site, and later T.G. Norris donated adjacent land to the North. The original red brick three story building with porticos was designed by local Prescott architect, W.S. Elliot and built for $25,000. The Pioneers’ Home opened its doors on February 1, 1911, situated atop a granite promontory overlooking the City of Prescott, Arizona. A.J. Doran was named the first Superintendent and served from February, 1911 to August, 1912.

Initially the home was built to house 40 men, but in 1916, pursuant to the benevolent donation from W.S. Parsons, an addition of a women’s wing was completed to provide for 20 women. Later, in 1929, the home was again expanded to include Arizona’s Hospital for Disabled Miners.

Today the Home can care for up to 150 residents, and operates via appropriations of approximately $5 million annually through state land trusts, a miners’ hospital fund, state charitable funds and the general fund. The current population of residents includes individuals from throughout the State of Arizona. Residents of the Pioneers’ Home pay a portion of their care based on their income, which is deposited back into the general fund.

 

1930

1930

 

And for even more of the story. click on this picture

Screen Shot 2017-02-21 at 8.28.07 AM


                                                                     © Michelle Young 2012